Step By Step Vegan Meal Prep Guide
Today I am going to do something slightly different; I will be guiding you on how to do a vegan meal in easy to follow steps.
Before I went vegan, I used to body build. There has been several requested that I make some vegan high-protein meal prep blogs. What I will be explaining to you today is full of flavor. It has lots of protein and all the other nutrients that you need when you’re training or working out regularly.
The Main Meal
This is what we will start with because it takes longest to cook. The sweet potatoes should be already cooking, and to serve them you will need to do a nice bean chili which is full of nutrients. Let’s get cooking now.
Bean Chilli, Baked Sweet Potato, Broccoli, Edamame & Creme Fresh
6 Baked Sweet Potatoes
1 Red Onion, chopped fine
2 Cloves of Garlic
1 Fresh Chilli
1 Red Pepper, cubed
1 tsp Ground Cumin
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
2 Tins Chopped Tomatoes
1 cup Chickpeas, cooked
1 cup Red Kidney Beans, cooked
1 cup Sweetcorn, cooked
1 cup Black Beans, cooked
Pinch of Sea Salt & Pepper
Handfull Chopped Coriander
2 cups Edamame
2 heads Broccoli
Here is what you are going to do:
- Add a small amount of oil or water to a pan.
- Next add one finely sliced red onion, one clove of minced garlic and one red chili that is finely diced.
- You will then add two teaspoons of cayenne pepper, one teaspoon of cinnamon, and one teaspoon of cumin.
- Just allow this to cook for a couple of minutes before you add all the rest of the ingredients.
I don’t want this to be your typical boring meal prep. I want to get some flavor in there. It’s really simple to do.
- Once the ingredients have cooked for a couple of minutes, add one cubed red pepper.
- Add three cups of chopped tomatoes from a can. This should smell absolutely amazing.
- Let that cook for a few minutes till when you will be required to add the beans and all the vital nutrients.
The chili mix should have been cooking for a little while now. It’s time to add your beans. For the vital nutrients, you will have a mixture that will contain:
- A cup of chickpeas,
- a cup of red kidney beans,
- a cup of black beans and
- a cup of sweet corn.
These should all be in a cooked state. They are so high in protein, compact carbs, potassium and calcium. They play a key role when you are working out by repairing the muscles. You will want as much of these into your diet when training as you can. Just get those in.
- Just to bring out some of the flavors, add a pinch of sea salt.
That’s basically the chili done. It’s so simple. I’ve slightly tweaked the actual chili recipe just to make it easier for you when you are making your meal prep on the weekends ready for the week, so let’s get on to the next dish.
I am explaining everything a bit backwards, just to make sure that you cook this efficiently and quickly. You just want to get your meals done and ready for the week, basically.
For breakfast, you will make a really simple porridge which you can add milk to in the mornings. We will ensure here’s lots of flavor and nutrients in there.
Oats, dried fruit, chocolate, hemps seeds & nuts.
- 4 cups Gluten Free Porridge Oats
- 1 cup Mixed Dried Fruit
- 1/4 cup Raw cacao powder
- 1 tbs Shelled Hemp Seeds
- 1 tbs Chia Seeds
- 1 cup Mixed Nuts
Check on the chili every now and then. Just give it a little mix. For breakfast;
- Grab yourself four containers since you will be making four of each course. It wouldn’t be porridge without the porridge oats. You will be doing a cup of each gluten-free porridge oats. After all, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. You want to start your day right by getting some good complex carbs and slow-releasing carbs. This is what these oats are perfect for.
- Flavor the porridge with some raw cacao powder which is full of antioxidants. The idea behind the breakfast is that you just add your milk, almond or soya, give it a stir, and get it into a saucepan or in the microwave. I recommend adding a cup of milk to this, and it’ll be perfect porridge.
- Next in, add some mixed nuts. Be it some coconut, some cashew nuts, some walnut and hazelnuts, a bit of everything really. Nuts are packed full of protein and calcium. They are superfoods in general, with plenty of good fats as well.
- Add a tablespoon of hemp seeds. Great for your skin, hair and high in protein as well.
- You will then add a roundabout tablespoon of chia seeds to each one. These are literally energy foods.
I do recommend added some dried fruit or fresh berries. Just bring them along separately and mix them in before eating your breakfast. Make sure you have a couple of bananas with your breakfast. It’s always nice setting it out like this at the start of the week
Peri Peri Grilled Tofu, Herb, Lemon Quinoa & Chickpeas & Spinach
- 1 block Tofu
- 1/2 cup Peri Peri Sauce
- 4 cups Quinoa, cooked
- 1 cup Chickpea, cooked
- Zest of 1 Lemon, plus Juice.
- Handful Parsley
- 1 tbs Fresh Thyme
- Handful Basil
- Pinch Salt & Pepper
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Red Cabbage
The next meal is a light lunch which can be served hot or cold. Always have one meal that you will need to warm up, for example the chili, and one meal that can be eaten on the go while cool or can be warmed up as well.
You will be doing some quinoa which will have some added amazing flavors too. It will be a lemon and herb quinoa served with some grilled peri-peri tofu. If you don’t want to use tofu or soy products, I recommend serving this dish with some falafel. I actually have the most amazing falafel recipe in my book, so make sure you preorder that on Amazon.
Back to the lunch. You should be having your quinoa close by, cooked off and four cups in total. That’s a cup for each dish. Quinoa is so good for repairing or building muscles. It contains all of the essential amino acids that are vital for building and repairing muscle.
To mix up the quinoa;
- Add the juice of one lemon. Squeeze it through your hands so you don’t get any of the pips in.
- Next, add some mixed herbs. They could be a mix of thyme, parsley, and basil. Add whatever you like
- Roughly chop up the chives and add them up.
- Add a cup of chickpeas just to get some extra protein. Smells amazing.
- You can then add a little bit of salt to bring out some flavors.
- Give that a stir around. Make sure everything’s well incorporated and then get on with grilling of the tofu.
As I said, this meal I recommend having it cold. It’s good to have an option of a cold dish, especially if you can’t get to a microwave. It’s all about getting some really nice flavors into the quinoa. It’s got all the nutrients in there. You just need to add some nice flavors.
- Pre-marinate the tofu in some of the peri-peri sauce. That just transforms the tofu into something really, really flavorsome.
- Grill some tofu and add them to the dish with the quinoa.
Tofu is a great source of protein calcium as well.
- Preheated your griddle pan and when it’s hot add some oil. If you don’t want to add oil, just put them on a lined baking tray and cook them in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Whilst the tofu is still grilling dish up the quinoa into a bowl and just add around a cup into each one.
Only make four of everything because after four days, you don’t really want to be eating it. All the flavors would have gone, and everything doesn’t taste as good.
They should look really tasty. The griddle marks add some great flavor and just transform the bland tofu.
- Once they’re done, add them to the pot and then get on with the final dish. They won’t be much longer, around about three to four minutes on each side.
- Add two slices of tofu to each dish.
- When the tofu is cool add in a spoonful of some spinach to each meal.
- Add some cherry tomatoes to the dish, which are really high in vitamin C, and add a nice color to the dish.
I hope these meal prep ideas really help you out because they are really good to make at the start of your week. Feel free just to tailor them to your taste.
- Add in some sliced red cabbage. Dark pigmented foods such as red cabbage and berries work to add more oxygen to the blood and are also anti-inflammatory.
The chili is basically done. It’s been on the stove for about 10 to 15 minutes. .
- Remember the sweet potatoes that were baking in the oven when we began? You can mash, peel, or just slice them up with the skin on.
I like to use sweet potatoes because they are full of vitamin C and a lot better than general white potatoes. If you are training and you want to put weight on, I recommend eating white potatoes over sweet potatoes, but these are a lot healthier.
- Get your four containers out, and add an equal amount of sweet potatoes to the meals.
Sweet potatoes have too many positives to mention and are available in a wide range of colors. It is just making sure that you are eating the rainbow and getting loads of nice nutrients into your body. Before you add the chili over the top of the amazing sweet potato, you will be making crème fraiche or sour cream, which works really well with the chili and it helps cool it down slightly. It is made from cashew nuts, which are again full of protein and they’re really good for you.
- Take half a cup of soaked cashew nuts, and to it add a half a cup of water.
- Add the juice of half a lemon, because after all, you want it to be like sour cream or crème fraiche. You need to get that lemon in basically to get some acidity into it. Just squeeze it through your hand.
- You will then add a pinch of salt. Pop your lid on and blitz it up on a high speed.
- And there you have it. It is your crème fraiche done. Simple as that.
- You can choose to thicken it up by refrigerating it. It is just quite warm because it’s been in the powerful blender.
- Before adding it to the containers, add some beautifully cooked broccoli which you will have just steamed. These little trees are full of protein, vitamin K and iron, which is essential for a vegan diet.
- Get your lovely bean chili over the top of your sweet potato. Make sure you get a decent amount in there. Try to aim for around a cup of the chili just so you know that you’re getting lots of the flavors and nutrients into it.
- Lastly to the dish add some edamame, around about a handful in each one. These are so high in protein and flavor. They are actually soybeans, so if you don’t want soybeans just leave them out. Add something like kale. That would work perfectly as well.
- On top, add your little crème fraiche. I recommend leaving the chili to cool down slightly before adding this.
- Finally squeeze over a wedge of lime.
I recommend having some avocados in the fridge which you can just cut when you’re about to eat the meals. They add some great fats and proteins. Just don’t put them in ahead of time because they will darken and be horrible.
You need lots of water when you are training for you to stay hydrated. Snacking on some watermelon is so healthy for you as well. Make sure you have big bottles of water that you can drink throughout the day.
- Slice up watermelon into some nice chunks. You can slice this up smaller or in bigger chunks so that you can take them with you wherever you are going and bite on it.
The Cherry On Top
So guys, there is my meal prep done. You can choose to have some sweet treats such as salty caramel bars. They are full of fiber due to the loads of dates in them. They are also great antioxidants because of the raw chocolate, and lots of nuts. Get one of these in each of your containers as well. This is a nice snack in case you feel like a sweet treat that’s also healthy.
- Grab a little handful of cherries and get them into the bowl. They are good food for after workouts because they are dark pigmented hence they get lots of oxygen in your blood which. They help repair your muscles, so does blueberries that are a superfood.
So there it is. There is a four days’ worth of meal prep for you when you are working out and training. It is full of great nutrients to repair your muscles and to keep you full throughout the day. It’s all gluten-free, hence all healthy
Thank you so much for reading through. Make sure you preordered my book “Vegan 100” on Amazon. Please like, share and comment. Most importantly, please subscribe, and if you want to be part of the notification go and hit the bell so you’re the first ones to know about my new videos.